Protect your bones, protect your life
Will a silent disease shatter your life? Every year, a growing number of Americans are finding out that they have osteoporosis-a disease that causes bones to weaken and be more likely to break. Medicare can help you prevent or detect osteoporosis at an early stage, when treatment works best. Learn the facts so you can protect your bones!
Many people believe:
- Osteoporosis is a natural part of aging that only affects older women
- Bone loss can’t be treated once it starts
- The only risk of osteoporosis is broken bones from falls
None of these myths are true. What is true is:
- While 1 in 3 women over 50 will develop osteoporosis, 1 in 5 men will, too
- It is possible to make bones stronger
- Around 25 % of people die within the first 6 to 12 months after a hip fracture
Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent or lessen the severity of osteoporosis. Making sure you get enough calcium, vitamin D, and exercise are 3 important ways to make your bones stronger. May is National Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month. Talk to your doctor about getting a bone mass measurement—it may be free.
Filed under: Uncategorized